A lightweight open source HTPC software for video, audio and photo playback for Microsoft® Windows® platform.
- Current version 220.127.116.11 (14.10.2018)
- A SQLite database to save locations of media files and their statistics.
- No changes are made to the files system - all operations are done withing the database.
- A very simple GUI and easy to use.
- Low system requirements as the software with video playback is based on the efficient VLC media player library.
- Audio playback is based on the amp# software's remote control API.
- A possibility play a single media file.
- A possibility to create TV show season episode libraries additionally using the TMDb database.
- A possibility to create movie libraries additionally using the TMDb database.
- A XML import/export possibility for photo albums
- A YouTube television API via the Chromium Embedded Framework.
- A possibility to watch multimedia from the internet using the GeckoFX.
- The photo album editor allows you to tag and describe photo/image files.
- Minimal settings - nothing much to configure.
- Currently supported languages: en-US, fi-FI
- Microsoft® Windows® supporting .NET Framework v.4.6.1.
- Runs both on 32 and 64 bit operating systems.
- Internet connection for the TMDb database, this is however optional.
- 4 GB RAM, a hard drive and some Intel Celeron or similar CPU with 2+ cores and running @2 GHz and a display chip
- v.18.104.22.168 (30.09.2018)
- - Initial release.
- v.22.214.171.124 (06.10.2018)
- Added fixes to the photo album editor.
- Added deletion possibility to the watched items, movie collections, TV show collections and photo albums from their corresponding lists.
- v.126.96.36.199 (07.10.2018)
- Fixed issues with the amp# remote API player window.
- v.188.8.131.52 (10.10.2018)
- Added standard keyboard controls to web browser forms.
- Added home button to web browser forms.
- The refresh button is no longer visible when the website location list is shown.
- Updated the installer script version.
- Added fixes to the PDF viewer window.
- Update the © VPKSoft 20xx link on the main window.
- v.184.108.40.206 (14.10.2018)
- Fixed the mute function on the video player window.
- Updated the instructions.
- Added menu item for the instructions to the installer.
- Added localization menu item to the installer.
- Added version info to the splash screen.
- Added F1 key to main window to view the help PDF file.
- Changed the ugly delete button in the music player window to a better one.
Credits / Attribution
- TMdbEasy - a great wrapper library for the TMDb database.
- libVLC - libVLC is the core engine and the interface to the multimedia framework on which VLC media player is based.
- Vlc.DotNet - Vlc.DotNet is a .net library that hosts the audio/video capabilities of the VLC libraries. In other words, it's a .net wrapper around libvlc.
- Chromium Embedded Framework - The Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) is a simple framework for embedding Chromium-based browsers in other applications.
- CefSharp - .NET (WPF and Windows Forms) bindings for the Chromium Embedded Framework.
- GeckoFX-45.0 - library that allows embedding gecko in C# applications.
- openclipart.org - Free scalable vector graphics and png (Portable Network Graphics).
- Loading.io - Loading.io provides the world's best ajax loaders, loading gifs, preloaders and ajax spinners.
- NsisDotNetChecker - NSIS plugin that allows one to detect if particular .Net framework is installed on the computer and download/install one if it is not found.
- PdfiumViewer - PDF viewer based on Google's PDFium.
- libdvdcss- libdvdcss is a simple library designed for accessing DVDs like a block device without having to bother about the decryption.
- Globalmousekeyhook - This library allows you to tap keyboard and mouse, detect and record their activity even when an application is inactive and runs in background.
- MediaInfo - MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files.
- MediaInfoDotNet - Wrapper Library for MediaInfo Library. Automatically chooses 32 and 64 bit library.
- Aha-Soft 16x16 Free Application Icons - A small icon set of 16x16 icons in various image formats.
- MetadataExtractor - MetadataExtractor is a straightforward .NET library for reading metadata from image and movie files.
- NSIS - NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) is a professional open source system to create Windows installers.
- TMDb - The Movie Database (TMDb) is a community built movie and TV database.
The splash screen
A screen shot of the main window
The settings window
The photo album editor window
- Make the main menu keyboard-usable
- Finalize the DVD playback if I get more than two DVDs to test with
- Write instructions for the software and instructions of how to compile the software from source
- Q: WHY? A: The Kodi (which is a great HTPC software) kept on lagging on my HTPC box and I wanted to spent a year programming an alternative instead of purchasing a better HTPC box
- Q: Why is the project so huge? A: It has two web browsers embedded and the VLC media player with wrapper libraries both in 32 and in 64 bit versions and of course many great other libraries to help with the software's functionality. The installed binary version "only" takes about 850 megabytes with 1381 files in 507 folders.
- Q: Why this library, Globalmousekeyhook? A: The VLC and some other libraries don't report the keyboard or mouse movement correctly - so that's why (no intention is to record the user activity as can be seen from the source code).
- Q: Another question? A: Do ask